Men's Soccer Sinks Knights With Last-Minute Strike

Men's Soccer Sinks Knights With Last-Minute Strike

GLENSIDE, Pa. – The Ursinus College men's soccer team snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, then snatched it right back with a dramatic strike with just 16 seconds left in regulation as freshman Braden Burns sealed a 3-2 triumph at Arcadia with his first collegiate marker.

Ursinus (1-1) was clinging to a 2-1 lead after the Knights surrendered an own goal in the 75th minute, but the home side came up with an equalizer on Tyler Ihle's one-timer off the crossbar with 1:17 to play.

Undeterred, the Bears came right back with some late magic of their own. Sophomore Colin Klingman's shot was saved by Arcadia keeper Chris Watson, but Burns was in the right spot to finish the rebound and hand Ursinus its first win of the season in thrilling fashion.

Freshman Alexis Ayala registered an assist for his first career point in his first start, and junior Derek Rudy produced a goal for the second time in as many matches. Klingman recorded an assist for the second straight contest.

The Bears succumbed to a 1-0 deficit just two minutes in as Ryan Hammer finished a cross from the left side of the box, but fought back to level ground in the 16th minute when Rudy put away Ayala's cross from the right for his third career goal. Ayala nearly opened his collegiate account five minutes later with a shot that rang off the crossbar.

Ursinus threatened with a pair of corner kicks before Arcadia (2-1) gifted an own goal with 15:57 remaining. Ihle's impressive shot made it 2-apiece with just over a minute left before the Bears shook off the specter of overtime with Burns' first tally.

Hammer led all players with six shots for the Knights, who held a 14-8 edge in that category. Rudy paced the Bears with three.

Junior Brandon Lillian (1-1) collected two saves for his first win of the year.

The men's soccer team wraps up its season-opening road swing at Marywood on Saturday. Kickoff is slated for 4 p.m.