Field Hockey Falls Late at F&M

Field Hockey Falls Late at F&M

LANCASTER, Pa. – The No. 20 Ursinus College field hockey team had an offensive surge led by sophomore Devon Carroll in the early stages of the second half but two late goals in regulation by Erin Coverdale lifted No. 12 Franklin & Marshall past the Bears, 3-2, at Tylus Field. 

The matchup between the two perennial heavyweights of the Centennial Conference lived up to its thrilling nature once again. It was a roller coaster of a match, ultimately decided in the last minute, involving the two programs that have combined to win every CC title since 2004.

Ursinus (7-4, 5-1) was largely outplayed in the early going and faced a 1-0 deficit at halftime but seemed to find better offensive movement coming out of the break as sophomore Devon Carroll continued her hot stretch by pouring in two goals. Carroll has scored five goals in the last three matches and now leads the team with seven goals.

About five minutes into the second half, a loose ball scrum ensued after a penalty corner. Carroll got the ball off a deflection then found the left side of the crease and buried it into the cage to get the Bears knotted 1-1 with the Diplomats.

Feeding off of Carroll's tying goal, the Bears took the lead less than four minutes later. Senior Mikayla Jordan set up Carroll's second goal of the game. From the top of the circle, Carroll took Jordan's corner insert and ripped a blast to the left side of the goal.

The Bears held on to a 2-1 lead until the Diplomats (10-2, 5-1) gained late momentum in regulation, as Ursinus received critical green and yellow cards.

Coverdale tied the game up with five minutes remaining then produced the game-winning goal with just 33 seconds to go in regulation.

As time was winding down, the CC leader in goals and points powered the game-winning dagger on a penalty corner from the top of the circle to the upper right corner of the cage.

Last season's CC Offensive Player of the Year tied the game 2-2 with about five minutes remaining in regulation. Set up by Emily Nagle, Coverdale hammered a low penalty corner shot through traffic.

About halfway through the first half, Caitlin Morrissey's penalty stroke got the Diplomats on the board first.

The Diplomats, NCAA Division III semifinalists last season, held both the shots attempted and penalty corner advantages by a 7-1 margin in the first half. The Bears earned their first penalty corner and shot with under three minutes to play in the first half. Franklin & Marshall stymied Ursinus before the post halftime surge.

Ursinus recorded its first shot on goal early in the second half after several penalty corners. 

The Bears' two goals were the most the Diplomats surrendered in a match this season. It also matched the total amount of goals given up by the Diplomats in five CC matches. Franklin & Marshall yielded just two goals coming into the contest.

The Bears evened things out as they outshot the Diplomats 6-4 in the second half. Ursinus also had more corners, 7-4, in the last stanza.

Overall, Franklin & Marshall took 11 shots and held Ursinus to seven. The Diplomats held the penalty corner edge 11-8.

Ursinus senior goalie Jules Singer recorded four saves. Franklin & Marshall goalie Ilianna Santangelo made two saves.

The Bears look to rebound when they host fellow playoff contender Muhlenberg on Wednesday at 7 p.m.