Men's Soccer Drops OT Thriller

Men's Soccer Drops OT Thriller

ASTON, Pa. – Despite playing nearly 40 minutes down a man, the Ursinus men's soccer team took Neumann to double overtime but eventually fell, 2-1.

The Bears (0-3-1) tried to hang on for a draw but being at a personnel disadvantage led to several Neumann scoring chances in both overtimes. The Knights (2-2-1) finally got their game-winning goal from Nick Testa, who was assisted by Ainsley Reid.

A crucial moment came in the 63rd minute when senior Justin Molyneaux received a red card and was disqualified, causing the Bears to play a man short for the reminder of the match.

About 15 minutes into regulation, the Bears came so close to striking first. Ursinus generated a deflection goal off a deep set piece into the box but was disallowed by an offside call.

There was no scoring in the first half as both teams registered five shots.

Neumann broke the scoreless deadlock in the 51st minute. Off a corner kick, Neumann drew a foul in the box which led to a penalty kick goal by Marlon Trejo. Trejo's well executed left-footed kick found the top right corner of the net. Trejo also scored the game-winner with a few minutes to go in last year's contest.

About 40 seconds later, Ursinus freshman Aiden Cooper ripped the back of the next to get the Bears level with the Knights. It was Cooper's second goal of the season and senior defender John Romero's second career assist.

Ninety minutes of regulation wasn't enough to determine a winner. A couple minutes into the first overtime, Neumann put a flurry of threatening shots on goal, including one that hit the post.

In the second overtime, Ursinus freshman defender Mike Buck took a set piece shot from deep that barely went over the crossbar.

The Knights outshot the Bears, 19-14, for the day and put 13 shots on goal compared to Ursinus' seven.

Ursinus senior goalkeeper Brandon Lillian made 11 saves.

Neumann goalkeeper Danny Lewis came on for starter Shane Smith due to injury near the end of the first half. Lewis recorded five saves to earn the win.

The Bears open up Centennial Conference play at home against McDaniel Saturday at 1 p.m.