Women's Soccer Ties Up E'town

Women's Soccer Ties Up E'town

COLLEGEVILLE, Pa. – Through heavy rain and soggy conditions, the Ursinus women's soccer team played to a 1-1 draw with Elizabethtown.

Ninety minutes of regulation and 20 minutes of overtime was not enough to break the deadlock, but gave the Bears a result for the fourth time in five games to open the season. Playing through sometimes pouring rain that left deep puddles on the Patterson Field turf, the teams required overtime for the second straight season, though Ursinus did manage to avoid last year's losing fate.

In the 39th minute, Ursinus (2-1-2) got on the scoreboard first when freshman Kelly Gardus scored her second goal of the season off a rebound. Gardus found the right side of the net to give the Bears a 1-0 lead.

The Bears held on to that lead until Elizabethtown (2-1-1) tied the contest with 10 minutes remaining in regulation. The goal started off Alli Lasky's angled free kick into the box which was headed off the post by Lydia Lawson then buried into the net on the rebound by Angela Carcella.

Carcella's goal was just the second goal given up by Ursinus in the season's first five matches.

Ursinus' closest opportunity to take a lead in regulation came when freshman Mariah Lesh's kick with about 15 minutes left in the game trickled just wide as the keeper left the net. Senior Mackenzie Groff had a good look from just outside the box with just over a minute to play, but her sharp kick rocketed just over the crossbar.

The first overtime session saw relatively few scoring chances but in the second overtime, the Blue Jays had opportunities at the outset. Those included a pair of corner kicks and two blocked shots in addition to one that was saved by sophomore goalie Sabrina Doherty,

Doherty made six saves in goal for the Bears. Elizabethtown's Christine Fox recorded two saves.

Elizabethtown led in total shots 17-10 and shots on goal, 7-3, on the night.

The Bears open up Centennial Conference play at McDaniel on Saturday at 1 p.m.